At the PostgreSQL developer meeting we discussed putting up everybody’s roadmap projects in one place: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL10_Roadmap.
2ndQuadrant PostgreSQL Roadmap Projects
- Use Case: Upgrade
- Use Case: Partial database replication
- Aiming for a full and complete implementation for 10.0, allowing other use cases to be supported in later releases.
Column Storage & Executor Efficiency
- Columnar Indexes (for Column Store)
- Parallel BRIN scan
- Row insertion using index (BRIN)
- HOT optimizations
Optimizer & Statistics
Our calculations suggest that more statistics will help query planning.
Transactions & Programmability
- Autonomous Transactions
Management features for Replication & Backup
- Bring recovery.conf parameters into postgresql.conf, since it’s v10.0 next
- Allow snapshots on standby servers, allowing parallel backup etc..
Locking & Data Availability
- Further lock reductions for DDL
- WAIT PATIENTLY
- Node Registry
- Feeding back from Postgres-XL into Core Postgres
Various other projects as well.