PostgreSQL 9 Administration Cookbook - 3rd Edition
New for 2017 - The Third Edition of the best selling PostgreSQL 9 Administration Cookbook is now available.
A practical guide, this cookbook will ensure you run a smooth PostgreSQL database.
Written by Simon Riggs, Gianni Ciolli & Gabriele Bartolini.
- Administer and maintain a healthy database
- Monitor your database ensuring that it performs as quickly as possible
- Tips and tricks for speedy backup and recovery
Who is this book written for
Through example-driven recipes, with plenty of code, focused on the most vital features of the latest PostgreSQL version (9.6), both administrators and developers will follow short, specific guides to understand and leverage useful Postgres functionalities to create better and more efficient databases.
What you will learn from this book
- Implement PostgreSQL features for reliability and performance
- Harness the power of the latest PostgreSQL 9.6 features
- Manage PostgreSQL versions 9.x.
- Advanced technical tips for experienced users
- Explore best practices for planning and designing live databases
- Select and implement robust backup and recovery techniques
- Concise and clear guidance on replication and high availability
- Latest details on Logical Replication and Bi-Directional Replication
Written in the cookbook style, this book offers learning and techniques through recipes. It contains step-by-step instructions for administrators and developers to manage databases on PostgreSQL. The book is designed in such a way that you can read it chapter by chapter or refer to recipes in no particular order.
PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source, object-relational database system, fast becoming one of the world's most popular server databases with an enviable reputation for performance and stability and an enormous range of advanced features.
Starting with short and simple recipes to get you back up and running with an exploration of the ins and outs of your database, you will soon dive into core features such as configuration, server control, tables, and data. This is a practical guide aimed at giving sysadmins and database administrators the necessary toolkit to be able to set up, run, and extend powerful databases with PostgreSQL.