PostgreSQL is an advanced database server with a long development history. It is available for a wide range of platforms, and is used on the smallest embedded systems to massive mult-terabyte systems. PostgreSQL has earned an excellent reputation due to its innovative features, integrity, security and reliability.
One of the clearest benefits of PostgreSQL is that it is open source, meaning that you have a very permissive license to install, use, and distribute PostgreSQL without paying royalties. In many cases, the data stored can be tremendously important and the availability of services that rely on it may be critical. In those cases we offer high quality support services to provide you with the levels of trust businesses seek.
On top of that, PostgreSQL is well-known as a database that stays up for long periods, and requires little or no maintenance in many cases. Overall, PostgreSQL provides a very low total cost of ownership. We provide a full business case.
PostgreSQL has the following main features, and important features from the latest 9.1 release are described in more detail here.
- Excellent SQL Standards compliance, right up to SQL:2011
- Client-server architecture with full range of drivers and clients
- Highly concurrent design where readers and writers don't block
- Highly configurable and extensible for many types of application
- Excellent scalability and performance with extensive tuning features
- Sophisticated query optimizer suitable for business intelligence
- Fully supports access from, and database procedures in Java, Python, perl, PHP and many others
- Highly reliable with extensive features for durability and high availability
- Advanced datatypes such as GIS, full text search and more
- Internationalisation features, multibyte encodings and collations
- Great support!
PostgreSQL is highly scalable both in the sheer quantity of data it can manage and in the number of concurrent users it can accommodate. There are active PostgreSQL systems in production environments that manage in excess of 4 terabytes of data. Some general PostgreSQL limits are included in the table below.
|Maximum Database Size||Unlimited|
|Maximum Table Size||32 TB|
|Maximum Row Size||1.6 TB|
|Maximum Field Size||1 GB|
|Maximum Rows per Table||Unlimited|
|Maximum Columns per Table||250 - 1600 depending on column types|
|Maximum Indexes per Table||Unlimited|
PostgreSQL was awarded the Linux New Media Award for Best Database System and is a five time winner of The Linux Journal Editors' Choice Award for best DBMS.