PostgreSQL Migration Assessment
Mitigate Risk. Evaluate Before You Migrate.
Evaluating your database prior to migration is critical to have an upfront, accurate idea of what will be required to ensure a smooth switch without loss of data, unplanned downtime, or unexpected expenses.
In addition to anticipating time requirements, a migration assessment can save your business money by allowing you to plan your time and resources in advance.
Good Reasons to get a Migration Assessment
- Mitigate Migration Risk. Have a clear view of what the successful migration process for your database will entail at an early stage of the project; helping prevent a potential incomplete migration.
- Identify Potential Blockers. Identify and plan for potential issues and/or dependencies that can be experienced during migration.
- Estimate the Effort. Know the amount of work that is required before beginning the migration.
- Estimate Costs. Financially plan for labor, any necessary hardware additions, and post migration training to avoid unexpected expenses.
- Determine Appropriate Architecture. Ensure understanding of database mechanics, including how PostgreSQL handles data so the database can be designed accordingly.
Migrating from Oracle?
Contrary to popular belief, migrating from Oracle to PostgreSQL is only about as expensive as upgrading from one Oracle major version to the next. Reduce cost by converting to PostgreSQL, an open source solution that is free forever with unlimited usage. It is developed and maintained by a large global community focused on making it more and more powerful with every release.
Read more about the specific tools we use to speed up migrations from Oracle.
- Detailed Estimation of Effort Report. Details of the current system architecture and quantified estimation of the effort needed for migration including cost and time, and ROI.
- Definition of best practices and guidelines. As an advantage of working with the world’s leading PostgreSQL experts your customized assessment includes suggestions based on first hand experience and knowledge.
- Migration Plan. We work with you to provide a customized multi-phase migration plan based on our analysis of your database that includes a timeline and cost estimation. As leading contributors to the PostgreSQL project, 2ndQuadrant knows what is planned for the future of PostgreSQL and can customize your migration to accommodate these updates.
- Identify Open Source Extensions. Either contrib or third party extensions that can help during the migration process.
- Training Plan. We provide a customized training plan for all stages of the migration process (before, during, and after). This also allows our team to work better with the team that knows the application domain intimately.
Who better to assess your database for migration than people who regularly perform successful migrations on high-volume enterprise databases across all industry verticals around the globe?
Migration Knowledge Base
Global online gambling and casino provider was seeking a more cost-efficient solution for their globally distributed database that was running on a popular, yet expensive, DBMS. They chose to migrate to PostgreSQL and have experienced zero outages since the switch. Learn how 2ndQuadrant helped IGT migrate to PostgreSQL to deliver high quality gaming experiences.
Webinar: Migration to PostgreSQL
The webinar was held on June 26, 2019 and covered the following topics: Why migrate to PostgreSQL, Planning your migration, Migrating business logic, Converting data types, Migrating SQL – function, procedures, triggers, and more., Typical challenges encountered and how to handle them and Post-migration tests.
Generating and Managing PostgreSQL Database Migrations(Upgrades) with Spring Boot JPA/0 Comments/in 2ndQuadrant, Haroon's PlanetPostgreSQL /by Muhammad Haroon
If you are building a Spring Boot application for your next project, you would also be preparing and planning for the PostgreSQL database to store the data generated by your customers. In some previous posts on the topic of RESTful services in Spring Boot, we discussed how we can use JPA to automatically create and […]
Migration to PostgreSQL [Webinar]/1 Comment/in Liaqat's PlanetPostgreSQL, Webinars /by Liaqat Andrabi
Among the many reasons to Migrate to PostgreSQL, dedicated support and seamless transition are key drivers for a business considering migration. Being open-source software, PostgreSQL provides a highly reliable, stable, scalable, and secure database migration, keeping in mind the unique needs of every business. Migration to PostgreSQL, however, can still be an extensive process as […]
Oracle to PostgreSQL: Basic Architecture/4 Comments/in 2ndQuadrant, Kirk’s PlanetPostgreSQL, PostgreSQL /by Kirk Roybal
This article provides the Oracle database administrator with equivalent PostgreSQL architecture knowledge. The process is a bit loose, but it is sufficient to bootstrap the concepts that are transferable and identify the ones that are not.