PostgreSQL 11 was released recently, with exciting new features. One of them is the ability to write SQL procedures that can perform full transaction management, enabling developers to create more advanced server-side applications. SQL procedures can be created using the CREATE PROCEDURE command and executed using the CALL command. Since OmniDB 2.3.0 it is possible […]
About William Ivanski
William Ivanski is a PostgreSQL enthusiast and contributes regularly to 2ndQuadrant blog.
Entries by William Ivanski
Introduction OmniDB 2.8 introduced support for Postgres-BDR 3.0, the ground-breaking multi-master replication tool for PostgreSQL databases, announced last month in PostgresConf US. Here we have 2 virtual machines with Postgres-BDR 3.0 installed and we will use OmniDB to connect to them and setup replication between the machines. Pre-requisites Postgres-BDR 3.0 requires PostgreSQL 10 or better […]
Introduced in OmniDB 2.6.0, the new OmniDB Console Tab provides an easy and comfortable way to interact with your databases. Users familiar with the psql command line utility will find that Console Tab behaves very similarly. In fact, many of the backslash commands Console Tab provides are present in psql. For example, \? shows a […]
OmniDB was designed to allow users to manage multiple databases from different RDMBS within an unified workspace. The philosophy is to use the same familiar web interface (same structures, icons, context menu and handy features such as SQL Autocomplete, Create/Edit Table Form and Edit Data) so the user feels comfortable and confident to manage different […]
OmniDB 2.4.0 introduces a new cool feature called Monitoring Dashboard. We know a picture is worth a thousand words, so please take a look: As you can see, this is a new kind of inner tab showing some charts and grids. This Monitoring inner tab is automatically opened once you expand the tree root node (the PostgreSQL […]
1. Introduction pglogical is an extension that provides an advanced logical replication system that serves as a highly efficient method of replicating data as an alternative to physical replication. Here we will show how to build a test environment to play with PostgreSQL and pglogical, and how to configure it using the OmniDB 2.2 web […]
1. Introduction Postgres-XL (or just XL, for short) is an open source project from 2ndQuadrant. It is a massively parallel database built on top of PostgreSQL, and it is designed to be horizontally scalable and flexible enough to handle various workloads. Here we will show how to build a test environment to play with XL […]
1. Introduction Postgres-BDR (or just BDR, for short) is an open source project from 2ndQuadrant that provides multi-master features for PostgreSQL. Here we will show how to build a test environment to play with BDR and how to configure it using the OmniDB 2.1 web interface. 2. Building test environment Let’s build a 2-node test […]
1. Introduction Logical replication uses a publish/subscribe model and so we create publications on the upstream (or publisher) and subscriptions on downstream (or subscriber). For more details about it, please refer to this blog post from my colleague Petr Jelinek, and also to the PostgreSQL documentation. Here we will show how to build a test […]
1. Introduction Being a web application, OmniDB is composed of many webmethods. A webmethod is a special kind of function hosted on the server side (the web server), called from the client side (the web browser), when the user performs some action on OmniDB web interface. For instance, OmniDB has several webmethods that know how to […]
UK +44 (0)870 766 7756
US +1 650 378 1218
Stay in touch with us
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to hear the latest developments from 2ndQuadrant and related technologies.
We’ll also send you any important news or updates that we think you’ll find useful.
We value your privacy and will not pass your details on to anyone else.